Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup cooked Irish Oatmeal
1 banana
1 egg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons flax
1/3rd cup raisins and/or chocolate chips
Sugar for sprinkling

Oven preheated to 350 degrees F

With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter for several minutes until it is a pale yellow color. Add the banana and continue to cream until you reach a smooth consistency. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, gently stir together the oatmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda, just enough to combine the ingredients.Add this mixture tp the butter mixture to combine.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheets.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are firm and the edges just beginning to brown. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. No sugar in the dough? Should be interesting, I'll make a comment after I make them today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't been using sugar in many of my recipes for awhile now. I find that if I use a very ripe banana, I don't miss the sugar. If I feel that it's not sweet enough, I sprinkle a little on the top - it works on cookies, teabreads, etc. Not for traditional cakes though! Thanks for visiting, let me know how it works for you.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete