Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pumpkin Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I must have made a thousand coffee cakes in my life using the same recipe that I know so well I could recite it in my sleep.  This day, however, I added pumpkin puree to the mix.  My DH loves pumpkin and I don't so the pumpkin desserts are kind of scarce around here.  But I think that we will both be pleased with this recipe:

Pumpkin Sour Cream Coffee Cake

2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups of sugar (you can use 1 3/4)
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 cup pumpkin puree
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping

1/2 cup sugar (I sometimes use vanilla sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Blend butter and sugar until creamy about 3 minutes on medium mixer speed.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add sour cream, pumpkin and vanilla to combine.  Slowly add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix for a minute.  Set aside.

Mix topping ingredients together in a separate bowl.

Pour 1/2 of the batter in the baking dish.  Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter.  Add the remaining batter over the topping and finish with the remaining topping, sprinkling it over the entire top.  Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment